MCC Archives

As a local agency under the State of Nebraska, Metropolitan Community College follows Nebraska state law concerning records management practices. In order to meet State guidelines, MCC has collaborated with the Nebraska Secretary of State's Office to determine how long the College's records should be retained. 

The result of this collaboration was the creation of a documented records retention and disposition schedule, Schedule 151. This schedule is designed to serve as your records management guide for storing and disposing of records, regardless of the media on which they reside. Note, when differences in retention requirements occur, MCC's Records Retention Schedule 151 takes precedence over the General Records for Local Government's Schedule 24, which contains guidelines for records common to most local government agencies. Additionally, if a particular record is referenced in neither Schedule 151 nor Schedule 24, then a retention of permanent is assumed until a retention is assigned to that record in the next updated edition of Schedule 151. All College departments should review Schedule 151 from time to time to ensure adherence to these State approved guidelines.

Life Cycle of Records

Active records are records that are usually referred to on a daily/weekly/monthly basis by department personnel. These records should be stored at the department level, usually for at least one year.

Inactive records are records that are referred to on a yearly basis (or less frequently) by department personnel. These records should be sent to another storage location such as the College Archives or departmental basements and retained for the period of time recommended in the College's records retention and disposition schedule, Schedule 151.

Dead records are records that have reached the end of their retention period. If currently held in departmental storage areas, the department that owns the copy of record should identify these records for destruction. The department must prepare and file a Records Disposition Report with both the secretary of State and the College Archives before disposing of the materials. The Records Disposition Report can be found at the end of MCC's Records Retention Schedule 151 (PDF file, 779 KB). Remember to follow FERPA guidelines when disposing of College records. Any records that contain student or employee identification information must be destroyed by shredding to maintain adherence to FERPA/HIPAA guidelines. The destruction of dead materials housed in the College Archives will be managed by the College Archives personnel.

Sending Materials to the College Archives

When sending inactive records to the College Archives, first review MCC's Records Retention Schedule 151 (PDF file, 779 KB) to determine which records belong to your department. Not all materials are appropriate to archive. These include departmental working copies of timecards, absence and leave forms, tuition waivers and reimbursement forms. These are not appropriate because another department owns and holds the original record. Working copies are simply departmental reference documents and may be destroyed without any reporting to the State.

Please complete the following four steps when sending materials to the College Archives:

  1. Prepare the records for transfer to the College Archives.

    • Discard any blank forms, duplicate copies of documents, convenience copies of publication, etc., for which your department is not the office of record. Discard all materials with no informational value, such as envelopes, routing slips, phone messages, illegible notes, etc.
    • Remove all hanging folders, binders, rubber bands and paper clips before placing materials to be archived in the box. Remove materials from hanging folders and binders and insert in manila/colored file folders, maintaining the original order of the records. Label folders to make file retrieval easier. Replace paper clips and rubber bands with staples and/or binder clips.
    • Use only special regulation archival boxes to store records in the College Archives. Recycled archival boxes may be available from the College Archives. Keep in mind that one archival box holds approximately one-half (1/2) to three-quarters (3/4) of a standard letter-size vertical file cabinet drawer. Additionally, one box holds roughly one-cubic foot of material. If your records require odd-sized containers, contact the College Archives to discuss alternative boxing and storage arrangements.
    • Place materials in the box in order, front-to-back for letter-sized files and side-to-side for legal files. Place the records in the box in an upright manner, one folder behind the other and facing the same direction. Folders should not be laid flat.
    • Pack the boxes loosely. Full boxes may weigh up to 50 pounds.
    • Records with similar retention periods and disposition requirements may be combined in the same box if doing so does not violate any FERPA/HIPAA regulations. Do not place materials with different retention periods in the same box.
  2. Complete a Records Transfer Form for each box being sent to the College Archives. This form is available on MCC's Forms Bank. Note that the bottom of the Records Transfer Form provides essential tips to assist you in handling transfers to the College Archives, in addition to those found within this website. Please include the following on the Records Transfer Form:

    • Provide departmental contact information.
    • Determine the disposal date according to MCC's Records Retention Schedule 151 (PDF file, 779 KB). Sometimes the disposal date is "never," best phrased as "Permanent" or "PERM." Examples of these include student grade sheets from Records or Board of Governor meeting minutes from the President's Office. If you need further assistance in determining or interpreting disposal dates, contact the College Archives. When there is a conflict in the retention periods between Schedule 151 and General Records for Local Government - Schedule 24 (PDF file, 148 KB), Schedule 151 guidance takes precedence.
    • Provide a listing of the box's contents to make retrieval of the information easier. The list should be as specific as possible to allow for better indexing. Avoid abbreviations and jargon whenever possible. Shorten long lists by using beginning and ending reference points (i.e. Faculty Files, 1999-2002, Anderson-Jones).
  3. Prepare the box for transfer to the College Archives.

    • Place a completed print copy of the Records Transfer Form inside each box on top of the materials you are archiving.

    • Tape the box shut, using a few short strips of masking tape on the lid. Too much tape can damage the box.

    • Address the box to College Archives, FOC 17, Room 010.

    • Submit a Facilities Work Request Form (do not contact Central Stores). Inform Facilities of how many boxes you are sending.

  4. Send an electronic copy of each Records Transfer Form to Carol White via email. This will alert her of your shipment to the College Archives. Once the materials have been cataloged, you will receive a copy of this form by email with the Records Storage Location filled in, making future retrieval easy and convenient. Refer to this document when requesting records from the College Archives.

Retrieving Materials From the College Archives

Some records housed in the College Archives, such as timecards, payroll records, purchase orders and student records, are considered confidential and will only be made available to other College departments with the originating department's consent. Other records are considered to be of public record and are available to departments College-wide.

  • To view archived records, contact the College Archives to schedule a date and time to conduct your research. If possible, provide the records storage location of the materials to be viewed. If this information is not available, be prepared to give a specific description of the records you are seeking.
  • If specific information is sought from the College Archives, print or electronic copies of these records can be secured in the College Archives.
  • If general information is sought, boxes can be temporarily removed from the College Archives with permission by the originating department.
  • A request for archived records to be permanently transferred back to the owning department requires a signed letter listing the archived records involved and stating the reason for the transfer.

Additional Information

Additional procedures for handling College records can be found in Procedures Memorandum X-27, Records Management at Metropolitan Community College. (PDF file, 34 KB)

Contact Information

For more information about the College Archives, please contact Carol White, Library Services/Records Management Specialist, at 402-444-3857 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday), at 531-MCC-2817 (Wednesday and Friday) or at